Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cushy for the Tushy

The boys and I went to our 11 year-old neighbor's baseball game last week. It was so hot, and the seats were so uncomfortable. My neighbor used a a blanket to cushion the bleachers a bit, but it kept sliding down and was fleece (so hot).

I decided to make her a stadium cushion for the games. And since she's been jealous that I keep making things with a bag of old clothes she gave me (like a cute little halter and t-shirt skirt), I decided to use an old pair of jeans that were in the bag.

First I cut the butt out, so the cushion could have cute little pockets to stash a cell phone and some cash for the snack bar. I had to add a little denim from the legs to the sides to make it a rectangle (she's little, but if you have a larger size, you can probably skip that part).

Next, I grabbed some old striped canvas I had left over from another project and cut to size. I left a little extra on top to make a nice seam (to take advantage of the jeans waistband). Put the right sides together and stitched around three sides (leave the top/waistband open).

Then I stuffed it with some left over quilt batting. Made a little handle with a piece of the leg material, pinned up the top (attaching the handle) and stitched closed.

My quilt batting was in a bunch of little pieces, so I machine stitched around each of the pockets to hold it all in place inside. I think it makes it look finished and I love the look of the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment