Monday, March 12, 2012

Star Wars Magnets

OK. I know I showed these a few weeks ago, but I thought I'd give some more detail on how to make them and share some things I learned in the process.

These cool little magnets were inspired by this lovely pin I found on Pinterest:
http://sabbyinsuburbia.blogspot.com/2011/01/homemade-christmas-pendant-necklaces.html

My family loves Star Wars, in fact we had a Star Wars viewing party in the driveway complete with Yoda coozie cups and light saber wars. You can read about it here:
http://confessionsofadesperatemom.blogspot.com/2011/07/may-force-be-with-you.html

When I first saw these magnets, I thought, "Those need to be Star Wars." I searched Yahoo Images for the perfect picture and printed it to fit my 1 inch glass gems (they sell them in craft store most often in the floral department).

I found this lovely pic.



Here's an original link:
http://my.opera.com/JanetB/albums/showpic.dml?album=5229182&picture=78880452

After printing it, I used my 1 inch circle punch from Creative Memories, but you can find similar at craft stores or cut them out by hand.

I used Modge Podge to glue them to the back of the gems and added three or four additional layers of Modge Podge to the back. After they were dry, I used hot glue to attach the magnets. And Viola! Here are my magnets.



If I were to make these again, I would definitely invest in stronger or bigger magnets. Mine are a little heavy and don't hold a lot of stuff to the fridge or you have to use two or three to hold up the paper. You can probably use smaller gems for a better hold.

Anyway, craft away and enjoy!



Nannersp

1 comment: